An updated cybersecurity alert was issued by Google yesterday, August 7, 2019, regarding multiple vulnerabilities in Android OS. These vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code which could potentially lead to a breach.
What It Is:
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Google Android operating system (OS), the most severe of which could allow for arbitrary code execution. Android is an operating system developed by Google for mobile devices, including, but not limited to, smartphones, tablets, and watches.
Successful exploitation of the most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow for arbitrary code execution within the context of a privileged process. Depending on the privileges associated with this application, an attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. If this application has been configured to have fewer user rights on the system, exploitation of the most severe of these vulnerabilities could have less impact than if it was configured with administrative rights.
Read the original Android Security Bulletin.
There are currently no reports of these vulnerabilities being exploited in the wild.
• Android OS builds utilizing Security Patch Levels issued prior to August 5, 2019.
• Large and medium government entities: High
• Small government entities: High
• Large and medium business entities: High
• Small business entities: High
Home users: High
What It Means:
If you and/or your business utilize the Google Android OS product mentioned above, you will need to apply the appropriate update(s) following proper testing.
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Google Android OS, the most severe of which could allow for arbitrary code execution within the context of a privileged process. Details of these vulnerabilities are as follows:
• An arbitrary code vulnerability in Broadcom components. (CVE-2019-11516)
• An arbitrary code vulnerability in Media framework. (CVE-2019-2126)
• An arbitrary code vulnerability in System. (CVE-2019-2130)
• An elevation of privilege vulnerability in Android runtime. (CVE-2019-2120)
• An information disclosure vulnerability in Media framework. (CVE-2019-2129)
• A denial of service vulnerability in System component. (CVE-2019-2137)
• Multiple elevation of privilege vulnerabilities in Framework. (CVE-2019-2121, CVE-2019-2122, CVE-2019-2125)
• Multiple elevation of privilege vulnerabilities in Media framework. (CVE-2019-2127, CVE-2019-2128)
• Multiple elevation of privilege vulnerabilities in System. (CVE-2019-2131, CVE-2019-2132, CVE-2019-2133, CVE-2019-2134)
• Multiple information disclosure vulnerabilities in System. (CVE-2019-2135, CVE-2019-2136)
• Multiple vulnerabilities in Qualcomm components. (CVE-2019-10492, CVE-2019-10499, CVE-2019-10509, CVE-2019-10510, CVE-2019-10538)
• Multiple vulnerabilities in Qualcomm closed-source components. (CVE-2019-2294, CVE-2019-10489, CVE-2019-10539, CVE-2019-10540)
What To Do:
We recommend the following actions be taken:
• Apply appropriate updates by Google Android or mobile carriers to vulnerable systems, immediately after appropriate testing.
• Remind users to only download applications from trusted vendors in the Play Store.
• Remind users not to visit untrusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
• Inform and educate users regarding threats posed by hypertext links contained in emails or attachments, especially from untrusted sources.
Negative Consequences of Lost or Stolen Data:
The loss or theft of proprietary data can have severe impacts, particularly if the compromise becomes public and sensitive information is exposed. Possible impacts include:
• Temporary or permanent loss of sensitive or proprietary information.
• Disruption to regular operations.
• Financial losses incurred to restore systems and files.
• Potential harm to an organization’s reputation.
Should your agency or business need assistance with issues arising from vulnerabilities in Google Android OS products including updates and/or patches, Dox can help. Please contact Dox if there is anything we can do to assist in securing your agency, business, or organization.
Thank you for your time and stay safe online.