A cybersecurity advisory was issued Tuesday, May 7, 2019, by Google regarding multiple vulnerabilities identified in Google Android OS as well as updates to address them. The most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow for arbitrary code execution.
What It Is:
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Google Android operating system (OS), the most severe of which could allow for arbitrary code execution. Android is an operating system developed by Google for mobile devices, including, but not limited to, smartphones, tablets, and watches.
Successful exploitation of the most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow for arbitrary code execution within the context of a privileged process. Depending on the privileges associated with this application, an attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. If this application has been configured to have fewer user rights on the system, exploitation of the most severe of these vulnerabilities could have less impact than if it was configured with administrative rights.
Read the original Android Security Bulletin regarding these vulnerabilities and the updates to address them.
There are currently no reports of these vulnerabilities being exploited in the wild.
What It Means:
If you, your business, or organization uses Google Android OS for its mobile devices, you will need to install the appropriate updates immediately after appropriate testing to prevent a possible security breach.
Systems Affected Include:
• Android OS builds utilizing Security Patch Levels issued prior to May 5, 2019
• Large and medium government entities: High
• Small government entities: High
• Large and medium business entities: High
• Small business entities: High
Home users: High
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Google Android OS, the most severe of which could allow for arbitrary code execution within the context of a privileged process. Details of these vulnerabilities are as follows:
• A vulnerability in Framework could allow for escalation of privilege (CVE-2019-2043).
• Multiple vulnerabilities in Media framework that could allow for remote code execution (CVE-2019-2044).
• Multiple vulnerabilities in System that could allow for remote code execution (CVE-2019-2045, CVE-2019-2046, CVE-2019-2047).
• Multiple vulnerabilities in System that could allow for escalation of privilege (CVE-2019-2049, CVE-2019-2050).
• Multiple vulnerabilities in System that could allow for information disclosure (CVE-2019-2051, CVE-2019-2052, CVE-2019-2053).
• A vulnerability in Kernel components could allow for escalation of privilege (CVE-2019-2054).
• A vulnerability in NVIDIA components could allow for escalation of privilege (CVE-2018-6243).
• A vulnerability in Broadcom components could allow for remote code execution (CVE-2018-19860)
• Multiple High severity vulnerabilities in Qualcomm components (CVE-2018-11955, CVE-2018-13919).
• Multiple Critical severity vulnerabilities in Qualcomm closed-source components (CVE-2018-5912, CVE-2018-13898, CVE-2019-2255, CVE-2019-2256).
• Multiple High severity vulnerabilities in Qualcomm closed-source components (CVE-2018-13901, CVE-2018-13902, CVE-2018-13906, CVE-2018-13907, CVE-2018-13908, CVE-2018-13909, CVE-2018-13910, CVE-2018-13911, CVE-2018-5913, CVE-2019-2257, CVE-2019-2259).
What To Do:
We recommend the following actions be taken:
• Apply appropriate updates by Google Android or mobile carriers to vulnerable systems, immediately after appropriate testing.
• Remind users to only download applications from trusted vendors in the Play Store.
• Remind users not to visit untrusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
• Inform and educate users regarding threats posed by hypertext links contained in emails or attachments, especially from untrusted sources.
Negative Consequences of Lost or Stolen Data:
The loss or theft of proprietary data can have severe impacts, particularly if the compromise becomes public and sensitive information is exposed. Possible impacts include:
• Temporary or permanent loss of sensitive or proprietary information.
• Disruption to regular operations.
• Financial losses incurred to restore systems and files.
• Potential harm to an organization’s reputation.
Should your agency or business need assistance with the detection of vulnerabilities in Google Android OS or updates including patches, Dox can help. Please contact Dox if there is anything we can do to assist in securing your agency, business, or organization.
Thank you for your time and stay safe online.